You were so careful to make popcorn for movie night that it didn't pop and the kernels burned? Sometimes success hangs by a thread and making popcorn can be more complicated than it seems. But there are a few tips to help you avoid this culinary failure.
Discover GrainPOP's tips for successful popcorn making!
Why won't my popcorn pop?
The quality of popcorn
If the corn has not popped, it may be because it is not of the best quality. It must be rich in starch and covered with a thick shell. Choose corn grown in France and without GMO to be sure to buy high quality corn.
The humidity level
Did you know that corn must have a moisture content of 14% to pop? It is the pressure created by the water vapour in the kernel that causes the corn to pop. To check if your kernels have the right moisture content, you can test the corn with your fingernail:
- if your fingernail crushes or breaks the kernel, it means that the corn is too wet;
- if the kernel is hard and your fingernail does not leave any trace, the corn is not wet enough.
To rehydrate your seeds, place them in a jar with a teaspoon of water, shake and let them sit for a day. If on the other hand your seeds are too wet, just dry them!
The choice of the cooking method
You can prepare your corn kernels in :
- a hot pan or saucepan, cooking over medium heat;
- in the microwave oven, for 2 to 3 minutes between 800 and 1000W, making sure that they do not burn;
- in a popcorn machine.
Making popcorn in a saucepan, however, is the most perilous technique. You'll have a better chance of success if you choose to cook your popcorn in a popcorn in a microwave oven or popcorn machine.
Not using fat or using too much fat can be the cause of your culinary failure. If your popcorn is soaked in too much fat, it will either not pop or it will soften quickly after the pop. We recommend adding 2 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil per half cup of kernels to the bottom of your pan before cooking.
Tips for successful popcorn making
Choosing the right popcorn
Did you know thatit's not possible to make popcorn with all the corn kernels ? Indeed, only the
Adopt the right settings for cooking
The cooking settings are also a determining factor for the bursting of your beans: the ideal temperature is 180°C. Only 34% of the kernels will pop if you lower the temperature by just 10 degrees! If you are preparing your corn kernels in the microwave, set the power to 800 W for 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, and 1000 W for a faster cooking time of 1.5 to 2 minutes. Once you don't hear a "pop" at regular intervals, between 2 and 3 seconds, it's done cooking.
Some tips to get more popcorn
It is also important to choose a large enough container: the seeds take up 30 times more space once popped! If the container is too small, the kernels on the bottom may be burned, while those on top will not have popped yet. If you're making popcorn in a pan, a clear glass lid will go a long way in helping you get the job done! If you want to make sweet popcorn, add the sugar at the end of the popcorn, otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pan and hold the kernels.
Popcorn success with GrainPOP popcorn
Easy to use recipes
To be sure of delicious popcorn, put your trust in
Easy to cook, healthy and natural popcorn
GrainPOP corn cobs are home-grown in France on farms in the Berry region and awarded the Haute Valeur Environnementale (HVE) label. Naturally goodthe
- gluten-free ;
- vegan, ;
- Nutri-Score A;
- rich in fiber and antioxidants.
Become a popcorn whiz with GrainPOP's natural recipesto find
FAQ: How to make popcorn with GrainPOP's tips
The main reasons may be the quality of the corn, the moisture content, the choice of cooking method and frequent mistakes in preparation.
The ideal moisture content is 14%. You can check this by crushing a grain with your fingernail.
Add 2 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil per half cup of grain to the bottom of your pan before cooking.
The ideal temperature is 180°C. If you are preparing your corn kernels in the microwave, set the power to 800 W for 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, and 1000 W for a faster cooking time of 1.5 to 2 minutes.
To make popcorn with GrainPOP popcorn, follow these steps:
- Choose the GrainPOP microwaveable flavored popcorn bags that suit your taste. They are available in a variety of flavors, such as caramel milk, island vanilla, cocoa and hazelnut, thyme and zaatar, barbecue or goat cheese.
- Place the GrainPOP popcorn bag in your microwave oven, following the instructions on the package for proper orientation and spacing.
- Set your microwave to 800W for 2-3 minutes of cooking time, or 1000W for faster cooking time of 1.5-2 minutes.
- Watch the cooking process carefully and stand next to your microwave oven. Listen carefully for the sound of popping beans.
- When you no longer hear a "pop" at regular intervals, between 2 and 3 seconds, cooking is complete. Turn off the microwave immediately to avoid burning the popcorn.
- Carefully open the bag, watching for hot steam to escape. Pour the popcorn into a bowl and enjoy while it is still warm and crisp.
Choose the variety "Zea mays var. everta", cultivated in France and without GMO, because it is rich in starch and covered with a thick shell.
You can use a pan or pot, a microwave, or a popcorn maker.
When you no longer hear a "pop" at regular intervals, between 2 and 3 seconds, the cooking process is complete.
Choose a container large enough for the grains to pop, use a clear glass lid if you're cooking in a pan, and add the sugar at the end to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the container.